Sunday, February 3, 2008

Twist of Cain


It is with little to no hesitation that I have chosen to devote an entire entry to the first Danzig record, a masterpiece of over-the-top riffage that has haunted me for years on end. I don't quite know how to explain this one, because it seems so obvious. At some point in your life, you have undoubtedly crossed paths with Danzig, and without question you were perplexed. Who is this short man in a mesh shirt? What am I to do with him? Where does he get off employing such a personage?

The answer to all those questions, and so much more, is in the first six tracks of this record. Twist of Cain, Not of This World, She Rides, Soul on Fire, Am I Demon?, and Mother. The a-side of this record is, I kid you not, a juggernaut of what Lucifer was doing in the late 1980s after he moved to North Jersey.

What brought this post on was hearing "Mother" in a commercial for the Sarah Connor Chronicles during the Super Bowl tonight. I don't know what demographic they're targeting exactly, but to be quite frank, I'm sold.

No comments: